D.I.Y Sheet Masks: Why and How To Make Them!

This post contains gifted items, but all opinions are my own

Ever been looking through your sheet masks and wished you could have half of one and half of the other to combat all your concerns? I have. Only yesterday, I was struggling because I wanted to target a pesky spot that’s been residing on my cheek for weeks, but also felt like my skin needed brightening up and could use a bit of moisture. Rifling through my extensive sheet mask collection, I couldn’t find a single one that would address all of these concerns – I could either get rid of spots and excess oil, or brighten up my skin. Moisture was a whole other mask again.

So what did I do? I used one of my D.I.Y mini sheet masks, of course!

A photo of a small clear jar filled with yellow liquid with a Hydrapuff pad inside. Behind this is a peach coloured box with a white box with watercolour splashes on it inside. The watercolour box contains the Hydrapuff pads. There are also pink tulips and white roses dotted around the photo.

Hold up, what’s a D.I.Y sheet mask and what are the benefits?

A valid question indeed. D.I.Y mini sheet masks are exactly that – miniature versions of your traditional full face sheet masks that allow you to personalise your skincare for different areas of your face. So you could, for example, target fine lines on the forehead with a collagen/hyaluronic acid blend mask, combat excess sebum and oils on the nose and cheeks with an AHA/BHA mask, and brighten up your chin area with a Vitamin C mask.

I started creating my own D.I.Y cocktail sheet masks for Jinmee’s Happy Skin, Happy Planet campaign, which aims to share the message of less waste, more product for your skin! Jinmee have an awesome little product called the Hydrapuff, which are super absorbent, ultra-thin sheets that deliver 50% more product than standard cotton wool or your hands. You can also split the sheet in half to make it go even further! And, as if that’s not awesome enough, they’re also eco-friendly, vegan, bio-degradable and come in (very pretty) recyclable packaging!

One box costs Β£6.50 for 60 sheets, which means each sheet is just 10p (or 5p if split in half). That’s 60 single-use, environmentally friendly, skin-loving mini sheet masks for the cost of around two normal sheet masks!

Jinmee, which means “best beauty” in Korean, are a K-Beauty skincare brand based in London. They follow the Korean “skin-first” philosophy, which aims to nourish and nurture the skin with skincare to make it look good, as opposed to masking it in make up in an attempt to do so. If you’re interested in K-Beauty, check out my Beginner’s Guide to the 10 Step Routine here!

Okay, so how do I make a D.I.Y sheet mask?

It couldn’t be easier! You will need:

• A Hydrapuff sheet
  • A clean, air-tight container with a lid (I used cleaned out mini jam jars!)
  • Toner
  • Your favourite skincare products (oils and serums are best for this)

How to create the mini sheet masksa step by step guide on creating a D.I.Y sheet mask. 1) Add toner, 2) Add Hydrapuff, 3) Soak, 4) add a few drops of oil, serum and/or light moisturiser. Mix. 5) Hydrapuff absorb the cocktail 6) keep masks sealed and a room temperature.

Image credit to Jinmee

Mask recipes

Here’s a couple of recipes I’ve created that you could try out to start you off!

Toning mask

• Quarter of a jar of Face Theory Cera C pore reducing toner, or whichever toner you prefer! I chose this one because I wanted to try and minimise the appearance of pores and oils on my skin
  • That’s it! That’s all you need!

Moisturising and brightening mask

• Quarter of a jar of Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
  • A few drops of Face Theory Vitamin C serum with hyaluronic acid and niacinamide
  • A glug (yep, that’s definitely a technical measure here) of Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence

Skin texture/pore refining mask

• Quarter of a jar of Dr Jart Ceramidin Liquid toner
  • A few drops of The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1%
  • A few drops of Face Theory Vitamin C serum
  • A squirt of The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Exfoliating mask

• Quarter of a jar of Son and Park Beauty Water
  • A few drops of Face Theory BHA Exfoliating Serum with Salicylic Acid and Green Tea
  • A few drops of Botanical Lab Pumpkin and Papaya Enzyme Daily Exfoliator

Join the challenge!

Feeling inspired to give D.I.Y cocktail sheet masks a go? Try the 10 Day Hydrapuff Challenge! Set by the team over at Jinmee, the challenge aims to reduce the wastefulness of packaging on single-use sheet masks, combat the ineffectiveness of cotton wool, and give you beautiful, radiant skin through personalised, mini, easy sheet masks!

I took part in the challenge, and simply rotated through the recipes above. The ingredients in each jar were enough for multiple mini sheet masks, so I just added a few Hydrapuff sheets to all, then split the sheet in half when I took it out of the jar. I also found that the Hydrapuff sheets were SO drenched in product that I was able to have 10 minutes of masking on one area of the face, then flip the pads and put the clean sides on different areas of my face afterwards! So it’s very cost-effective and really does show how easy it can be to be a little less wasteful.

Fancy taking part? All you need to do is whip up a few mini sheet masks and apply them every day for 10 days. Use the hashtags #10DayHydrapuffChallenge and #ZeroWaste on any social media posts you do, and make sure you let me know your recipes and skin results!

Drop me a comment and let me know your answer to one of these questions:

• What’s your favourite sheet mask?
  • What’s something you’re doing to be more environmentally friendly?
  • Will you give D.I.Y sheet masking a go?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

1. March 12, 2019 / 8:28 pm

I love this post! I love sheet masks, they are such an easy way for a pamper session! My favourite sheet mask is probably the Garnier Moisure Bomb my skin feels so amazing after using it. I would definitely give making my own sheet masks a go! X

March 12, 2019 / 9:50 pm

Thanks Aaliyah! Me too – they feel so luxurious! Ooh, I haven’t tried those actually! But I keep seeing them in the shops so I’ll have to try them! Let me know if you try your own sheet masks! 😘

2. Michelle Blackadar
    March 12, 2019 / 8:45 pm

oh man load my face up with that exfoliating mask! as i’ve gotten older and gave my skin more attention i’ve learned that my skin loves to be exfoliated with chemical exfoliators. that’s how i get rid of little clogged pores. besides that, these just sound like so much fun because you get to be like your own skincare expert and make something good for you and for the planet. double win! x

mich / simplymich.com

March 12, 2019 / 9:52 pm

Right?! I totally agree – I’ve gotten to know my skin better and what it likes and doesn’t like! And you’re right – making your own is pretty fun and benefits the environment too! 😎

3. March 12, 2019 / 8:46 pm

This looks so cool! I’ve never even thought of making my own sheet masks, but I’m trying to be more environmentally conscious, so using something like this would be great! And they’re so affordable! Bookmarking these to use the instructions at a later date.

Jas xx | https://thoughtsfromjasmine.co.uk

March 12, 2019 / 9:53 pm

Aww yay, I’m glad this post helped! I had never thought of it myself either to be fair, but when Jinmee got in touch, I knew I had to try it! I love the personalisation you can put into making your own!

4. March 12, 2019 / 8:47 pm

This is so cool that you can make your own sheet masks. I like to do face mask, so it will be great to be economically better and if it’s better for the environment, it’s a win win. Thank you for sharing your post.
    Lauren x

March 12, 2019 / 9:54 pm

Right?! I didn’t even realise you could until recently! Hope you enjoy if you give it a try! X

5. Mikaela
    March 12, 2019 / 8:57 pm

So nice!!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I need to try this!!

March 12, 2019 / 9:54 pm

I hope you enjoy it if you do!! And my pleasure, thank you for reading 😘

6. March 12, 2019 / 9:41 pm

I love sheet masks but I’ve never done my own DIY. To be honest, it never even crossed my mind to do it, so your post was very helpful. I’ve learned something new.

March 12, 2019 / 9:58 pm

I hadn’t thought about it until Jinmee contacted me either! It just never occurred to me! I hope you enjoy it if you give it a go! πŸ™‚

7. March 12, 2019 / 10:40 pm

This sounds amazing! I’ve thought before about how this would work, whether it’s possible etc. I love the idea of making your own to target concerns in specific areas. It sounds like such an affordable way of doing it too! x

Sophie

March 12, 2019 / 11:35 pm

Yeah, definitely give it a try! I found it helped with an annoying issue I’m having at the mo which is dry patches but oily skin! I can mix and match to target both at once 😎 let me know if you try it!

8. March 13, 2019 / 1:02 am

I never thought about making my own DIY sheet masks. I can’t believe how easy it is to make a sheet mask. This is something I really want to try. I love environmentally friendly ideas.

March 13, 2019 / 8:04 am

I know, I didn’t either until this campaign, but it’s so easy! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any nice sheet mask recipes πŸ™‚

March 13, 2019 / 3:40 pm

I’m glad you found it useful! And I know, it never occurred to me before Jinmee got in touch either, but it’s so easy and handy!

9. March 13, 2019 / 10:28 am

I’ve never even tried a sheet mask before, let alone make my own! This is such a great post and such a good idea to make your own!

Jenny in Neverland

March 13, 2019 / 3:41 pm

Ah, I love sheet masks! Though they can scare the living daylights out of people if they walk in on you with one on πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

10. March 13, 2019 / 12:19 pm

This is insane! I had no idea you could make your own sheet masks, but what a great idea! I hate buying sheet masks, as I hate the texture, but maybe I could not have them as intense if I made them myself xx

Hannah | luxuryblush

March 13, 2019 / 3:43 pm

I know, right?! I had no idea before this either! Yeah, you could! With the Hydrapuff pads, they’re a bit thicker and coarser than sheet mask material when dry, but then go nice and soft when wet, but not slippery smooth like a sheet mask!

11. March 15, 2019 / 7:19 pm

I love using sheet masks as a quick, mini pick-me-up. I love the idea of making your own, that wasn’t even possible in my mind! I usually gravitate towards those with ingredients and extracts like honey and tea tree, as those play nice with my sensitive, fussy skin. Great post!
    Khanak x

March 15, 2019 / 11:02 pm

Same! They’re so nice and refreshing! And ikr?! I had no idea before this! It seems pretty obvious now but it just never occurred to me before πŸ˜‚ ooh, I bet you could make a beautiful tea tree mask! 😍

March 15, 2019 / 11:02 pm

Oh, and thank you so much! 😘

12. March 15, 2019 / 10:40 pm

This is so easy, I thought it would be a whole project! Will have to try this on my next self-care day

March 15, 2019 / 11:11 pm

Right?! It just never occurred to me before this, but it’s super quick and easy, plus you can personalise it! It’s pretty cool 😎

13. March 18, 2019 / 5:17 pm

I don’t often do sheet masks or face masks at all for that matter but i appreciate all the benefits they have! i need to do more of them and a DIY mask is the best idea!

14. March 18, 2019 / 5:27 pm

This was so interesting because I’ve never actually used a sheet mask. I love the idea of a DIY one and it looks pretty simple to do πŸ™‚

March 18, 2019 / 5:56 pm

They’re so good for all skin types! I bet you’ll be hooked if you give it a try! 😎

15. March 18, 2019 / 5:43 pm

Oh wow DIY sheet masks sound great – it’s ideal to be able to target different areas of the face for different problems!! This is a great post thanks for sharing xx

March 18, 2019 / 5:57 pm

Exactly! And sometimes I get dry patches on my cheeks so they’re perfect to just whack on my cheeks when I need some extra moisture! Thanks so much, I’m glad you enjoyed! πŸ™‚ Xx

16. March 18, 2019 / 6:02 pm

I’ll be honest Rhi, I never done a sheet mask beforeπŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™€οΈbut the other day I was in the store and saw a sheet mask. I immediately thought of you 😁 so after reading about how to DIY sheet masks, this is so cost-effective I must try it out!

Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

March 18, 2019 / 8:17 pm

Haha, I’m glad sheet masks make you think of me 🀣 give them a go, they’re amazing for your skin! Let me know if you give them a try! πŸ’œ

March 18, 2019 / 8:38 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to it 😎

17. March 18, 2019 / 6:05 pm

This looks so cool, i never though of making my own sheet mask at home!

Ayse x

March 18, 2019 / 8:17 pm

It’s so easy and fun! 😎

18. Lisa's Notebook
    March 18, 2019 / 6:57 pm

Wow, I’ve never thought about making my own sheet masks but it really looks quite straightforward to do. I’m bookmarking this to come back to, I think they’d make lovely gifts too!

Lisa x

March 18, 2019 / 8:19 pm

They’re really simple and so customisable! Ooh, that’s such a good idea, I didn’t think of gifts! You could put them in a jar and add a little bow and personalised label! Xx

19. March 18, 2019 / 9:10 pm

I haven’t heard of a DIY face mask before but this sounds so useful and like so much fun. Thank you for making me aware of it 😊

March 18, 2019 / 9:45 pm

I’m new to it too! But you’re right, it’s really fun! πŸ˜„ Hope you enjoy it if you try!

20. March 19, 2019 / 3:31 pm

Wow! I didn’t even know this was a thing! Love the whole idea of targeted benefits and less waste. What a brilliant idea, thanks so much for sharing and raising awareness of the possibilities! I will certainly bookmark your page to come back to! I mostly use hydrating and anti-aging masks but love the idea of branching out for different areas of the face!

Amy

March 19, 2019 / 10:49 pm

Right?! It’s such a helpful idea! I didn’t know about it either until Jinmee explained it all!
      Thanks so much, I hope you enjoy it and find it helpful! I’m finding it really useful for my combination skin as I can target the dry patches!

21. March 21, 2019 / 2:44 am

This is such a cool idea – I’ve never tried making my own sheet masks, but I’d really love to try making my own pore refining mask just like this. Thank you for sharing!

March 21, 2019 / 8:01 pm

I hadn’t before this either! But I do find them super handy for a quick fix after work or for targeting key areas! Hope you enjoy if you try! πŸ’œ