Recipes for the Bookworm in the Kitchen

Have you ever read a book and ended up salivating about the food they’re describing? I have, more times than I can count!

Since it’s my birthday today and I’ve been enjoying a gorgeous lemon drizzle letterbox cake from Baker Days, I thought I’d round up some delicious sounding bookish recipes which you can check out below!

If you want to have someone bake the cake for you though, I’d recommend Baker Days – you can choose your own design, flavours, dietary options (e.g. wheat/gluten free), and if you choose the letterbox cake, it comes in a gorgeous little tin with a card!

Use my code TSUNDOKUGIRL15 for money off. I’ll be buying letterbox cakes for long-distance friends’ birthdays!

(Oh, and yes, the cake is right – I’m running a giveaway which includes cake and books, a.k.a my favourite things! Head over to my Instagram to enter!)

Butterbeer Cookies by J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series

Butterbeer cookies on a plate Bookish bookworm recipes

Photo credit to Mugglenet

The creamy, butterscotchy drink that J.K. Rowling’s lucky witches and wizards lap up sounds absolutely divine. Now imagine that combined with a cookie – I’m drooling right now!

Check out this recipe on Mugglenet to create your own!

Chocolate Almond Fruitcake from C.G. Drews’ A Thousand Perfect Notes

Cait (aka Paper Fury) has just realised her debut, and in it is a delicious, mouthwatering fruitcake that sounds like it’s to die for! Alison Walsh, author of another awesome book, A Literary Tea Party, has created a recipe to bring it from page to plate! Check it out here!

Lembas Bread from Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings

Bookish bookworm recipes Lembas bread

Photo credit to Vomiting Chicken

You know what they say about this – one bite can fill a man for days. Well, I’m not a man and I can eat 17 of these and still want more, so bake at your own peril…

November Cakes from Maggie Stiefvater’s The Scorpio Races

Bookish bookworm recipes November cakes

Photo credit to Maggie Stiefvater

I had a major issue with this book when I read it, and that issue was that every time someone mentioned November Cakes, I’d have to stop reading because I went into a kind of food trance and struggled to concentrate! Luckily, Maggie herself has whipped up this awesome recipe so I can FINALLY stop fantasizing about the darn things!

Turkish Delight from C.S. Lewis’s The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

Bookish bookworm recipes Narnia

Photo credit to Narnia.com

Now, it’s worth noting before you make this that it was so good that Edmund literally betrayed his whole family to get a second taste. With that in mind, please don’t go blaming me if you do something disgraceful to get a second helping of these bad boys!

Jelly Tarts from Lewis Caroll’s Alice in Wonderland

Bookish bookworm recipes Alice in Wonderland

Photo credit to Asda

There’s so many things in Alice in Wonderland that I’d love to try, even if they’d shrink me or increase me infinitely! However, you can rest assured that the only danger of these jelly tarts is potentially increasing your waistline! (By the way, make sure you check out the jelly tarts link, as there’s potions and cute toadstools and all sorts listed for a Wonderland themed party!

What’s your favourite bookish recipe? What fictional food would you love to try? Leave me a comment and let me know!

1. June 15, 2018 / 4:07 am

OMG i love this post! Brings together two loved – food and books <3 visiting all those pages and bookmarking them! Thank you for this round up darling! 🙂

June 15, 2018 / 10:16 pm

Aww, thanks Uma! Haha, yes, my favourites! I really want to try the Butterbeer cookies! 😍

2. Anja Scheil
    June 16, 2018 / 5:00 pm

Oh my goodness, I can’t believe I missed your birthday during my instagram break….Happy Birthday my friend. I wish you the best day and weekend ever and I hope you get to celebrate with all your favorite people.
    And I couldn’t agree more with this post…everytime I read a book playing in asia and food is mentioned, I get the biggest cravings. I am a sucker for asian food! soooooo yummy.
    and btw…this is Anja 😉

June 21, 2018 / 11:23 am

Anja!! How are you?! 💖
      Don’t be silly! I barely remember what day my birthday is most of the time 😂 I had a really lovely birthday week, thank you! 😘
      Oh, right?! I’m glad it’s not just me! Sitting there drooling over books 😂💖

3. June 20, 2018 / 6:30 pm

You have me drooling, babe! What a fantastic post!

Firstly, a very happy belated birthday! Hope you had a grand day! And now back to this post, I am not a baker but how I wish I could have some of those butter-beer cookies!

June 21, 2018 / 11:25 am

Aww, thanks Aditi! I’m glad I made you drool 😂
      Thanks so much! I had an amazing time! 💖 Oh, me too! I might try and make some this weekend! 🤔💖

4. June 21, 2018 / 7:09 pm

These look insane what fun themes too!! You could sell those to WB studio tour surely!! I love the look of the jelly tarts too.

June 21, 2018 / 8:38 pm

They definitely should get on that! They’ve got Butterbeer ice cream there now as well – I could eat it all day 😂

5. June 21, 2018 / 7:35 pm

The butterbear cookies and the jelly tarts look amazing. These are all such cute ideas! I have always liked the way the Turkish Delight looked in The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe even though I don’t like the taste, it just look so yummy!!

June 21, 2018 / 8:41 pm

I’m so excited to try the Butterbeer cookies! I love butterscotch flavours! Haha, omg, same! I don’t like it, but somehow, this photo still makes me want to eat it 😂

June 21, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Aww, thanks so much Morgan!! 😘😘 I’m so excited to give the Butterbeer cookies and November Cakes a try, and the Turkish Delight does look delicious! 😍X

June 21, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Aww, thanks so much Stephanie!! I’m gonna be spending a lot of time in the kitchen this month I think 😂 x

6. June 21, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Yess!! The authors really know how to make a meal jump right out to the reader and make us all hungry! Oh it was your birthday when you uploaded this, just checked the date now, happy delayed birthday, hope you had a great one!!

The butterbeer recipe sounds like it’d taste amazing to munch on! Lord of the Rings! I haven’t watched it in so long, if I make the Lembas Bread, definitely going to have a marathon!

So many books I haven’t read and so many that I forgot I read until I see the name of the book the dessert came from haha

The butter beer recipe is one I’m definitely going to try out!

June 22, 2018 / 10:02 am

Oh, they do, don’t they?! Aww, thanks so much Sahara! 😘 I had an amazing day 😄
      I’m so excited to try the Butterbeer recipe! Haha, oh definitely do that, it’ll be perfect!

Haha, I do that all the time! I’m like “oh yeah, I have read that!” 😂

Hope you enjoy! Let me know how it goes! X

7. June 21, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Those butter beer cookies look amazing! I love the look of the Turkish Delight in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe too, my mouth is watering!
    Sophie – https://sophiehearts.net x

June 22, 2018 / 10:03 am

I’m so excited to try the Butterbeer cookies too! And yeah, it looks divine, doesn’t it?! 😍X

8. June 21, 2018 / 8:55 pm

Ahhh, all of these look so yummy! If I’m not lazy, I think I’d really want to have a go on making that Butterbeer Cookies! I always thought Turkish Delight was hard to make but nothing’s hard if your heart is set for (to make) it, right? Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes! 😀 xx Ain

June 22, 2018 / 10:06 am

The Butterbeer cookies and November Cakes are definitely calling to me 😂 let me know how it goes if you make them!
      Haha, yes, that’s the spirit! 😂
      Thanks Ain! 😘😘Xx

9. June 21, 2018 / 9:00 pm

These look so good, I’d love to try the Butterbeer cookies and the Alice in Wonderland Jelly Tarts! Thanks for sharing these, I’m so hungry now though. Hope you had a great birthday too lovely!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

June 22, 2018 / 10:07 am

Haha, sorry! I got hungry writing it too 😂
      The Butterbeer cookies are singing to me to make them too!
      Thanks so much Jess! I had a great time 😘 xx

June 22, 2018 / 10:08 am

Thanks so much Sophie! I really did, it was so much fun!
      Haha, I know, it’s like “HOW?!” xx

10. June 22, 2018 / 5:05 am

haha…. I love this post! Very creative of you to share the recipes described in books. I’m a beginner in reading novels, so haven’t read most the books you mentioned. Although I have seen the movies Harry Potter (who hasn’t), and Narnia. I could identify Turkish delight. 😀

June 22, 2018 / 10:10 am

Thank you so much! 😄 Ooh, the movies of those are great too! Love them! 💖

11. Emily Isobelle Jane
    June 22, 2018 / 9:47 am

Omg I am so happy to have found your page! I love it! Those butter-beer cookies look incredible, Im definitely making a dairy free version! I hope you had the best day lovely x

Emily xx

June 22, 2018 / 10:14 am

Aww, thanks so much Emily!!
      Omg, they do, don’t they?! I need to give them a try! Yeah, I bet you could easily substitute the ingredients to make a dairy free version! Let me know how it goes!! 😘
      I had an amazing day, thank you lovely! 😘😘Xx

12. June 22, 2018 / 12:12 pm

Rhianna this was so creative, such a great way to highlight delicious treats from the stories we read, I never thought about looking up the recipes 🙂 I always wanted to try Turkish Delight! LOL! I needed to understand how that mouth-watering treat was captivating Edmund so much hehehe! Also, I’m looking up the recipe for November cakes, they look immaculate!

Natonya | http://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

June 22, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Aww, thanks Natonya, you little cutie! Haha, clearly I have food on the brain – they mention something in a book and I’m like 🤔😂 Haha, so delicious he sold his whole family out 😂
      Oh man, I know, don’t they look divine?! 😍😍😍