What Are You Reading Wednesday: Rogue One

Wednesday’s rolled around yet again! April’s been a funny old month for me. I’m in a bit of a reading slump, but I have been listening to the audio book of Rogue One, so I’ll tell you about that!

How do you shake yourself out of a reading slump? Let me know in the comments!

Oh, and remember, we’d love it if you joined in! Check out this post for guidelines, and make sure you leave your links on the little linky button below! 🙂

What I’m reading

Rogue One by Alexander Freed

Jyn Erso Funko Pop Rogue One special edition

I’m listening to the graphic audio of Rogue One by Alexander Freed. As you may have guessed, it’s the story behind the Star Wars movie of the same name.

Why did you pick it up – cover or content?

Definitely content. Rogue One is my favourite Star Wars movie – yes, yes, I’m sure that’s blasphemy of some kind since it’s not one of the originals, but it’s true. I picked it up because I loved the film, plus I’d heard the audio book was excellent from Maraia over at Buecher Monster.

Who’s your favourite character so far and why?

I’m not that far in, so it may change, but I like Lyra and Galen Erso (well, and Jyn, of course) and Bodhi. In the film, I loved Chirrut, so I’m looking forward to meeting him in the book!

Will you finish this one?

Definitely! I hope it’ll shake me out of my slump.

This book reminds me of…

Erm, I haven’t really read a lot of space books. It reminds me of The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet due to the range of alien creatures/diversity in characters, but it’s a kind of dystopian adventure that reminded me a little bit of the Catching Fire rebellion era of The Hunger Games.

What kind of read is this? (Slow but interesting, can’t put it down…)

Neither – I’m not feeling like I have to read it all immediately or I’ll die of curiosity, but it’s certainly not slow. It could be the fact I’ve seen the movie that is making me less inclined to listen at every available moment I get, though!

Thanks for reading! Are you taking part? Click the button below to add a link to your blog post so we can all view each other’s posts, comment and chat! 🙂 If you don’t have a blog, you can still take part! Leave me a comment with your answers – I’d love to hear from you!

CHECK OUT MY CO-HOSTS!

marissa Marissa at Marissa Writes

kendall

Kendall at The Geeky Yogi

1. April 18, 2018 / 3:49 pm

Hi there!
    I didn’t even know that there is something like a “What are you reading”-Wednesday since I’m not on English blogs a lot but when I say your Rogue One picture on instagram I had to take a peak at your blog post. 🙂
    I don’t think that saying that it was the best movie is blasphemy. I really liked it too. I haven’t seen the new Star Wars films yet but this one was without a doubt very unique and had great visuals and characters and music and stuff.
    I listened to the audio book too although it gave me a different feel from the movie. More insight into the character’s feelings but still…like a different voice. Style. Not quite the same story, if you know what I mean. What do you think?
    Okay, okay. Shutting up now.
    Have a great day! ❤
    LG, m (aka _tirilu)

April 18, 2018 / 2:59 pm

Yeah! I made it with my friends Kendall and Marissa! We’d love you to take part if you’d like to! 💜
      Haha, aww, I’m glad! Thank you!
      Yay, it’s not just me who thinks that then! I totally agree with you, it was really unique! The audio book is different, you’re right. It’s almost like the back story combined with the story – it’s more about the people than the movie was!
      Haha, no, don’t shut up! I like chatting 😄 have a great day too!! 😘

2. April 19, 2018 / 12:46 pm

As you already know, I enjoyed the Rogue One novelization. I must admit that it’s actually my favorite Star Wars movie. Yes, I enjoyed it more than the originals. For one thing, it scored high for me because it did diversity REALLY, REALLY, REALLY well. It didn’t just toss a bunch of characters from different racial backgrounds together. These characters were complex and had great backstories. I also liked that Jyn Erso’s characterization in the novel made me appreciate her movie version more. That girl had soooooo many things going on in her head and her heart, which wasn’t always obvious in the movie!

April 19, 2018 / 9:31 pm

Yay, I’m not alone! It just seems more…refined to me. Like, it’s matured well, and the characters and their arcs have grown with the franchise
      Yes, exactly! And it didn’t feel like a forced “we have to have diversity on screen” thing, it just was, much like it is in everyday life!
      Yeah, her mind is never asleep! She’s much more in depth in the book!

• April 20, 2018 / 12:12 pm

Yes to everything you said! Try reading “Guardians of the Whills”. You would probably enjoy it too because you love Chirrut. It’s a novella. 🙂

April 21, 2018 / 11:42 pm

Ooh, I haven’t heard of that one! I’ll add it to my (disgustingly large) tbr! 😎😂 Thanks Jewel! ♥️

3. April 19, 2018 / 9:54 pm

This sounds so intriguing, I’d love to give it a try as I loved the recent Star Wars films 😀 I’d never been a SW fan but I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would! I love your photos and funko pops!! xx

elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (PS I’m hoping I might be able to entice you to follow each other on bloglovin haha xD)

April 22, 2018 / 11:30 am

Definitely do it! I was kind of in the same boat – I’d never really been into Star Wars, but I did really enjoy this film in particular! Aww, thank you so much!! Yeah, sure! I’ll sign up to your blog too! 🙂 Are you on Instagram?

4. April 20, 2018 / 8:33 am

I’ve never read a ‘movie to book’ book, but your comments make me intrigued. Maybe I’ll pick this one up some time 🙂

April 21, 2018 / 11:41 pm

I don’t think I had before this one! It’s almost like you’d expect a pre-movie book to be though; lots of info, more in-depth emotional/character development and more back story. It’s done really well considering it maintains the film’s identity, but also has its own, if that makes sense! I know Maraia enjoyed this one too!

5. April 24, 2018 / 2:06 pm

Aw, I’m sorry you’re not loving it! I spent the whole audiobook wanting to watch the movie, but I thought the narration was well done. I listened to Leia, Princess of Alderaan earlier this month, which was also great, especially since I didn’t know what was going to happen. My favorite Star Wars movie is either Rogue One or The Last Jedi, but I need to see that one a second time before I decide. Either way, Rogue One is brilliant!

April 24, 2018 / 9:54 pm

I am liking it though! And I love the graphic audio! I feel like I’m in a strange slump and I should start it again because if I enjoy it even in a slump, then I should love it normally, right?! Oh, I have the physical copy of that! I need to read it still!
      Let’s see how the new Han Solo movie turns out!

• April 26, 2018 / 12:38 pm

Slumps are the worst!! Good luck 💚

April 26, 2018 / 12:41 pm

They really are! I can’t shake it! 🙈

• April 28, 2018 / 8:31 am

Nothing is working?!

April 28, 2018 / 10:03 am

Nooo 😭 I’m going to try a fluffy book!